Monday, April 23, 2018

Raising them right

Yes, children.

(I had to post this fab photo of a sunny Sunday ;)


And although this does mean raising them as Auburn fans ;), this is actually a post about raising children in the Christian faith.  (I'm kidding... kind of.)

It's hard. As parents, you are bound to question yourself. Think you should do more. No... do less... or be better.

Fact is, we are imperfect.
Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins. - Ecclesiastes 7:20 
^Just to confirm, the Bible tells us so.^

SO... how do we raise perfect kids???
We CAN'T.  They will make mistakes, just like you and I did...do... and will do... I think we all know that little factoid too. It's our job to set the foundation of Jesus. (No, biggie, right?!)
This is what drove me to this post.

I would love ideas, thoughts, experiences, tips, that you think benefits your family and children to come closer to God. I feel like at the little ole' age of 3, Hylan Marie learns so very much, and at 6, Burke is at a very important age to set the stage for his relationship growth with God.

I thought I would share some of the things we do, use, and incorporate into our daily life that drive our kids to know Christ. I would say this just helps our children, but it actually helps me (us as parents) just as much. So here goes, and please comment of ways you help your family grow in their faith!

1) Prayer- I pray (out loud) as we drive to Burke to school, before meals, and each night we pray with our children before their eye lids close.

2) Family- I believe we are so lucky that our children have such great role models, and examples of faith surrounding them. We definitely use our village!

3) Church- We attend consistently and are involved with our children. Having anyone under 5 years old, we may not be as accountable, early, or attentive as we would like... but we are there if at all possible!

4) School- I wasn't going to list this, but fact is, the places Burke and Hylan Marie attend school are instrumental in always bringing it back to what's really important. I am so thankful for the teachers both my children have had. They have truly made a difference in our lives, especially the lives of our littles.

5) Bible Stories- we were doing such a good job when Burke was in the 3year range of reading bible stories each night before bed instead of a "fun or bedtime read." But since his reading started taking off, he sometimes is doing his daily reading in bed or wants another chapter of Star Wars to be read to him. :) I'm really trying to get back to Bible Story time at night! I just bought some of the recommendations from Momfessionals (I know... I reference her a lot, but check out this post.) and am so excited about them! I think I may save them to go with their "first day of summer" surprise at the end of the school year to make it extra special. We shall see!

And since that night bible time has slipped right now more often than not, I try to do a short devotional with them while at the breakfast table, followed the Character cards. I'm linking them both below. I really can't recommend the character cards enough! My kids love them!


Sometimes I have to be selective in this devo book, just because its a little over their heads.


THESE people... you need them if you have kids!


Also, some of the Bible books we own are below! I can't recommend them enough!

a)  This was the first storybook bible we owned. It has beautiful language and pictures. It was recommended to me when Burke was around 3, but honestly I think it was too wordy for him back then. I would say reading this now is much more effective... so I would gauge this one for the 6+ range. It is so so good. I love how it always brings it full circle at the end of each bible story! It was recommended by a friend, and it does not disappoint!



b) I got the Jesus Calling Storybook bible because I was loving my own Jesus Calling devotional so much! We have both of these!




c) I use this almost every morning during my quiet time. It ALWAYS helps me gain focus and look to scripture to start my day. I have been using it for over a year and a half, and just yesterday found (yes found!) a daily devotional book that I received at Christmas when playing Dirty Santa! The good Lord knew I would be in need in April!
I will probably always keep this year long Jesus Calling book near though! It's a favorite!






d) Here is the one I was given at Christmas! I read yesterday's and LOVED it as much as my Jesus Calling devo!




There are so many good ones out there... what do you love to use for yourself and with your children in addition to Bible Study?

6) We also listen to Christian Music... most mornings it's "Difference Maker" to help us to put on our armor of God on the daily and go forth with a positive and Christ centered outlook on our way to school! Check it out, it's empowering!

No comments:

Post a Comment