Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Wellness Wednesday- How we laundry


Today I'm going to share a homemade laundry detergent recipe! I'm on my 4th or 5th batch now... and love the cost effectiveness, the non-toxic chemicals we are leaving behind, and the wonderful (and customizable) smells!

After coming across this article from Newsweek, it makes me feel better than ever about the conscious efforts we are making to nix the bad stuff around here. I mean... I'm not a professional cleaner by any means, BUT I do all the cleaning in our home, and on the daily, so I feel like I (and probably anyone reading this post) would want to know that the impact of toxic cleaning products could have up to a 20-a-day cigarette habit! Yikes.

Laundry is just one area I found easy to assess and "get right" in the wellness department. Plus, it is saving us $$$$. The ingredient list is minimal, and will last you a long time! I haven't calculated how many batches of detergent I can make with the supplies listed, but it's A LOT!

To make it easy, I'll just walk you through my little laundry session. :)

I have my go to recipes written down so I can just grab and start mixing... just because sometimes I hate trying to find it on my phone, or realize after 10 minutes that I had deleted it, and then have to go to Pinterest or text my friend, Amanda, to resend me this recipe. hahaha

So, this came from my good friend, Amanda, who sent me the link to a blog, (that I didn't save), and now is on my notecards at home. :) Sorry I can't find it to site!

Without any further ado....



I mix it up in a large glass drink dispenser, because that's just what I have on hand! I will say that I had a plastic one from Target, and the plastic was not made to hold the washing soda, because over time it deteriorated the faucet part. So use an old detergent container or something that will withhold the liquid. 


I also wanted to point out that your detergent will separate. (See picture below)


Just give it a stir and place about 1/3 cup into your washing machine. I have an HE and there are no problems!

I then throw in my homemade booster (think the smell of HEAVEN!) right onto my clothes and wash like normal!


Then I throw in my wool dryer balls (about 4) with a mixture of my favorite smells (about 1-2 drops on each!) I just reapply when I notice the dryer balls not smelling any more. I do this when I throw my load into the wash, so that the oils can dry on the dryer balls and not have the possibility of getting on our clothes. I reapply about every other load because I like a strong nice smell!


These are the ones I have.




You can probably find one of the dryer balls peeking out below!


As for oils, I have changed it up, but my FAVORITE by far has been Lavender and Joy together.
Joy is a more pricey oil, so not really as cost effective as using more affordable oils, like lavender, orange, citrus, lemongrass, etc. I recently used citrus and rosemary together, and liked it, but not as much as my go to (the joy and lavender combo.)

Give it a go... it's a great and positive change to a non-toxic lifestyle!


No comments:

Post a Comment