Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Back to School

Burke started back to school almost three weeks ago, and HM started back last week, all while preseason camp began at Auburn, and some BIG news for Ryan last week as well (more on that soon!) It's a exciting, but tough season, but if we push through the first two weeks, we're golden. :)

I do love the structure that school brings to your house, but it's hard saying goodby to summer!
So, to pep ourselves up, we counted down the days until school began, had our traditional back to school dinner, shopped for new clothes, shoes, lunch boxes, and sent him to bed with Ready Confetti under his pillow the night before school. We prayed for the upcoming year with friends and family as well.


On the morning of his first day as a first grader, he was excited to go. His clothes and chores were completed without my nagging and we were there in plenty of time to walk him in.






His uncertainty showed on his face the moment he was asked to put his snack in one place and his lunch box in another... I could basically read his mind... "Why would I do that? I'm only eating one meal here people." He had never had to stay past lunch at school before, and at that moment I had a feeling he was going to have a lot of surprises that day, but he is a kid that rolls with the punches and makes friends so very easily. I love those qualities in him! There were no tears from him, and only a few from me. I counted it as a win.

I expected to pick up a very chatty happy little boy at dismissal that day... however, that was not the case. Upon getting in the car and pulling away from the teacher that shut his door, he burst into tears. I was so caught off guard! His exact words were "It was as bad as a rotten tomato!" He cried all the way home and dismissed the cookies and milk I had ready for him to sit down and enjoy while unloading all the details of his first day. Instead, he ran to his bedroom and curled up under the covers. :( I literally had no idea what to do. This is not at all what I had expected!
After talking to him and finally getting a grip on what happened... it basically boiled down to his previous school being so different from this one. Before he had 9 people, including him, in a room, play time when he walked in the door for the first 15 minutes, and so much less structure than a room of 18 kiddos requires. The teacher is different, he only knows two of his classmates, and eating with what seemed like 600 people in one room was an eye opener.

This mommas heart hurt so badly! t was all I could do to not cry with my boy! Growing up is hard and having it all seem to happen in one day was a lot to bear for him.

The great news is, he told me he would "give it another chance, and only one more chance" the next day. :) We read The Kissing Hand, and every morning draw hearts on each other's hand. I know it helps me when I'm missing him.

Visiting for a lunch date at school helped too. :)



Things have been getting better slowly, but he is still adjusting. I think even missing sister a little since we are finding them in the same bed at night. :) 


Things took a positive turn just the other day. Last week, when I walked in from being at Auburn all afternoon, he ran to the door to tell me he had the best day ever! He had put "hidden messages" throughout his About Me Poster with a marker that colors clear, but then shows up when you color over it with the opposite end. Apparently everyone thought this was the coolest thing in the world when he presented, and now we have 20 color switch markers headed to the house. haha. I seriously think he needed that boost of love from his classmates.


(Thank you Lord for these markers! haha!)

I am thankful for sweet teacher friends that check on him for me. Of course my schedule with band doesn't help right now, but thankfully between my mom, Shireen, my good friend Candice, and of course Ryan, we are fitting the puzzle pieces together... It has already been so much better now that preseason camp is finished with Auburn.  A consistent school schedule does wonders!
Speaking of Auburn... these girls are awesome. I love being their instructor. Not only are the amazingly talented... they are the sweetest things you will ever meet. I love being a momma to 14 when I'm away from my two. :)


On the flip side, sister started her last year of MMO. (Cue tears.) She couldn't get out of her car seat fast enough.



 I am unsure of how she will react to staying at school half-day every day next year...  I think she will love it or hate it. :)

She also started ballet at a new studio and it's going so well! She did shed some tears last week, but I count that one as my fault... I let her play the iPad instead of get some zzz's on the drive. Lesson learned. :) She was fine once class began!


I guess because I know how fast it all goes by now, I am pretty sentimental. She's the baby!

(I adore this picture from last year... ahhh)

 I am relishing every second of our time together at home. You can find me balled up in the closet when it comes time for me to drop her off at K-4 next year. I can't even think about it! Our day time whether at home or running errands or even having "girl time" as she calls it... is priceless. Much like those years with Burke at home... it goes by so quickly.



So, on we march through the third week of school. I pray Burke will continue to cope with circumstances and situations he has not been dealt before, remember he is never even alone, and make friends in his classroom.

I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year!





No comments:

Post a Comment