Thursday, April 14, 2016

Not many days are made like this...

BUT... before I dive into crazy, let's unload the iPhone, shall we?

Burke decided he will be an architect... and all architects must wear glasses. ;)


When you know what to do, but can't find a way... you finger point.

(And I was asked at her 15 month well check if she could turn a door handle yet... Do they throw those questions in there to make you think your child is "slow," to make you laugh, to see if you're listening, or to see if you indeed think your child is super baby? I'm thinking the later.)

Taking in our town's Marble Festival...


but mainly just spoiled our lunch. :)


While wearing mom's sweatshirt inside out. #toldyouitwascoldson


And we managed to get a picture with the one and only Craigger Browne, our hometown marble sculptor! 


Now... today.

Today was a doozy.

An emotional roller coaster.

From worry to peace. From crying to tears of laughter. 

First off- Hylan Marie has been killing it in the sleep department. So I felt SO good when I woke up this morning, after going to bed at 9:30 and waking at 6:00am. It's like she's finally realizing how WONDERFUL shut eye really can be! She has been a BIG roller coaster since birth, but lately (trying not to jinx anything!) she's been napping and sleeping like a champ.

So the day was starting off GREAT. No worry in sight, and everyone was well rested.

After taking Burke to school, HM and I headed to her 15 month appointment. (Yes, I'm late and no, I have not updated with her stats and latest achievements. :) Let's just blame it on a late 15 month well check. #secondchildproblems)

She is such a big girl (not in stature... as you will see), but has become so independent since she rounded the one mark. She is sassy (you do see that raised eyebrow don't you?), goofy, playful, but has a tender heart all at the same time. I mean... the girl will straight up stick that bottom lip out and cry like there is no tomorrow if you slightly look at her funny!

This is one of my favorite "faces" she makes. haha

She will open her mouth as wide as she possibly can if you act like you are going to feed her something... and sometimes she just does it for fun. Hilarious!


What wasn't hilarious, was that we were told that on top of her 15month vaccinations, she would need to have blood drawn to check her thyroid. :(

Little miss is SMALL.
Like still 28inches long and 17.something pounds small.

And apparently not on the growth chart by a long shot.... and Burke is only in the 15th percentile for height. The doctor finds this crazy since Ryan and I are both tall people and by their calculations, my kids will be 5'8'' and 4'6'' when they are full grown. WHAT???

So they want to do some further investigating in case we need to go to an endocrinologist. 

SO.
They ordered blood work for HM and an x-ray for Burke. (Apparently they can take an x-ray of only his hand and measure the growth plates to determine if things are "normal" or not.... and this can not be done on a baby, so blood work it is.)

1. I kinda freaked out in my head.
Why are they picking on my kids??? No, they are not picking... just being proactive, right?
2. Is something wrong with them?
I mean... does short count as a disease? That doesn't make sense. But, why are they short? Do they have a disorder? Will they not live long fulfilling lives? 
3. THANK YOU JESUS FOR EXEMPTING BURKE FROM BLOOD WORK!  (For the time being at least.)

The good news is that they weigh appropriately for their height (despite the fact that they are small), are developmentally on track, and appear healthy.

So after leaving the doctor's office with outpatient orders for both kids in hand, we headed home so baby girl could get a nap and sleep away those shots before picking up Burke. Of course I'm still upset... and immediately come home and do my bible study and search for comfort in The Word. I text my girls prayer group and pray until I go pick up Burke. 

I play out how am I going to tell him he has to go to the hospital to get an x-ray... considering we have to go the SAME spot he had to get blood work drawn a few months ago (which was also a scary time... thankfully everything came back normal with that, but it took three other nurses and me to hold him down for them to get FIVE vials of blood. Traumatic.)

And would you know....
God was there before me.

He always is... how often do I miss that?

Psalm 139

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 
even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
11 
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
12 
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
13 
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 
How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 
Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you.
Looking through his folder once he got home... look what the letter of the week is and look what they talked about today.

God. Is. Amazing.

This 15 month appointment was rescheduled... twice.
This weird and scary news about growth plates, hormones, blood work, x-rays, and who knows what else... happened to unfold today. And SO MUCH of my worry was that Burke would not understand what a x-ray was, or think that I was just bribing him into (in his mind) that dreadful place to get more blood work done "because "crazy mom" is making up this x-ray deal to get me in there!" And also for Hylan Marie... she, of course, would not have any of those fears, but would see Burke getting  upset and would too- if he did, and just the fact that her tiny little body would have to be pricked AGAIN after three shots just hours earlier that morning.

No,
none of that.
Burke was excited to go. :)
He was only upset that they didn't give him a picture of his skeleton hand to take to show Mrs. Autumn. :)

As for Hylan Marie, she didn't get it done... today. After talking to the nurse, we decided it best not to test her blood today since her antibodies and such might be thrown off with all the vaccinations she just had this morning. 

Thank you Lord.

We should have more information by Monday on Burke, and will go next Thursday for HM. So please keep them in your prayers that everything is normal.

Then, tonight... Checkout those hashtags...

Yup... you can't make this stuff up.

I had seen something tee-tiny the past two night as I was giving the kids a bath... when I asked Burke what it was, he told me a "boo boo"... so I thought he had just scratched himself and it was a scab...
WRONG.

Tonight, I noticed the "scab" had gotten bigger... and upon further investigation, it was A TICK!

Not sure if I blogged about it, but he had a tick about a month ago, under his arm... it was so so painful to get off, and another TRAUMATIC experience for us all we will never forget. So when I said the word "tick" out loud, he fell completely apart. Poor guy.

But I could NOT hide my reaction! lol

My mom called about that time and told us of a new way she had just heard about removing them vs. pulling them straight out, so we gave it a whirl. It didn't work exactly as shown, but I do think it helped loosen him up, because Ryan was able to pull him out completely intact and without Burke noticing (I gave him Mickey Mouse on the phone for distraction!)

We all just hung out on our bed watching Wild Kratts (which by the way I have learned SO MUCH from this show!haha!) and playing with the kids for the next 30 minutes. Much needed down time, giggles, and a relief after a day like today.

Despite the fact that I'm thankful days like today are few and far between, I can rest knowing God is right there ... especially in these days. And maybe... just maybe, that's what we are supposed to learn during scary times in our lives.

We control NOTHING. God's got this, and His plan is so much bigger than any worry, fear, or number on the height chart.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:1-2







No comments:

Post a Comment