Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Feels like home to me

This past weekend was glorious (besides the fact that we still can't walk right). I'll get to that later.

The reason? We went did things that we LOVE doing. 

Friday, Ryan left early for Birmingham, to interview with two firms he is very excited about. It went spectacular. As for Burke and me, we woke up, got presentable, and hopped on Bob to head to get breakfast. 

Let me tell you. There is just something about living in walking distance to eats and downtown (even though it's "small town downtown") that is amazing. It literally takes us eight minutes to walk to McDonalds, and it's nice, quiet, backroads... no traffic... just the birds singing. Heavenly.

Then we WALKED to Burke's preschool, where he will be attended two days a week next school year, to drop off some paperwork, then WALKED to Sherwin Williams to grab the rest of the stain needed to finish the hardwoods, and then WALKED to the Feed & Seed to see the owners fun animals (birds, dogs, cats, chickens) and then home. Sounds like a lot of walking, but really it isn't because it's "small town downtown," remember? It felt so good.

Then Ree and Papa came for a visit. Billy and I headed to get our utilities changed into our name, while Ree and Burke had a grand time in the backyard. After that we grabbed a bite to eat and headed to the farm, where we rode the golf cart around, checking out the crop, did a little hoeing, and Burke rode got to ride the tractor. They took Burke back to the lake, while I did a little more unpacking and waited on Ryan to return.

That night we all met in Alex City to watch Cade play tee-ball! He is such the little athlete! The little third baseman hit three home runs!


They won!



Burke even got to run the bases.

Ok, so was led around the bases... but it still counts.

The next day... oh... the next day Ryan and I played in a tennis fundraiser tournament. Do you know how long it's been since we have played an actual match? Much less a tournament, where you play MULTIPLE matches!

This picture I took on Monday should say it all. It (along with several more empty packets found in the laundry) were harsh reminders of the pain we inflicted upon ourselves.

Everyone knows that Ryan cramps at the least bit of dehydration. At one point someone just gave him the bottle of mustard to squirt into his mouth because he was cramping so bad (and the packets weren't enough.) 
I know it's gross, but it works.

What didn't work was our tennis game. :) 

Ryan and I played mixed doubles. Lost the first match, and won the second in consolation. Ryan and Wesley also played doubles together (hence the cramps and the need for mustard). They won the first match and lost the final... it may or may not have had something to do with Ryan not being able to move. :) Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the first match because I had a baton lesson to teach (which I am so excited to get back into), but I hear they had a lot of fun.

Train em' young...


But the next two days are always worse in the sore department, and guess what was on the to do list?
Install a mailbox, refinish lamp stands, and finish staining the floor. (All which require you to work some sort of muscle and unfortunately bend down. Ouch.)

But somehow, we managed to finish our checklist.

Primed with a spray primer, and then two coats of chalk paint in "lace," followed by rouging it up with some sand paper. I did two more, but slightly differently... I may or may not use them, but this one is for sure going into the house.

 And then, while chatting on the phone with my mum... I see this.
Right where I had been painted (less than a two feet from me!)

I scream.

Get Ryan's attention asap.

Snake dead.

Ryan then goes on to finish staining the floor (which I don't have a picture of), but it looks great! We stayed out of the house because of the terrible fumes. (Thanks to hubby for taking toxins for the team.)

We won't be going back for a few weekends due to Ryan studying and taking another test, family gatherings, weddings, baton lessons, etc. The next time we go, we will be taking a BIG load to begin the moving process! It beginning to sink in, and I'm seriously going to miss the great friends we have made here, but life moves on and God leads the way. I am so grateful for where He has brought us and what He has in store for our future. 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~Jeremiah 29:11




No comments:

Post a Comment