Saturday, March 2, 2013

ONE

Sweet Baby Burke,

I usually do not write TO you, usually more about you and the latest happenings, accomplishments, and memories that you, your dad, myself and so many other friends and family are making together. However, today is special. It's your birthday! We have officially kept you alive for one year! :) (Major accomplishment in my book)
I realize that this post will not mean anything to you now, will probably be humorous to you as a child, annoying to you as an adolescent, but eventually you will have children of your own, and only then will you really understand the love that your dad and I feel for you. It seems just like yesterday that we were on our way to the hospital to have you. I can vividly recall every moment from your birth. I can hear that first sweet cry, 



and can remember snuggling all 5.6 pounds of you after you were first born. In my head, I remember comparing my expanding heart to the Grinch when he realized the meaning of Christmas. :)


But so much has changed since then!


You now are almost a toddler! You don't quite "toddle" yet, instead you do a funny scoot, sometimes Indian style or sometimes with you right leg in front to get you around. However you have just started pulling up on everything, and "walking" by holding onto mom or dad's hands... or using your special walker (See youtube link here for the beginning of this new phase).

You have always loved the outdoors, especially stroller rides around our neighborhood, and frequent visits to various parks to break in their swings and slides. I think you love the sounds you hear outside. You rarely fall asleep on a walk, instead you contently ride along, rarely making a sound... which leads me to believe you will be another avid deer hunter. Like father like son, right?


You love your cousin Cade. You light up when we mention his name or show you his picture. In fact, we put one on our refrigerator just for you to point at.


Ah, pointing. That has been around for awhile now, and boy do you use it! You started by pointing at the light, which led to you learning how to flip the switch on and off, and then you starting pointing at pictures of us and other family... and now that finger always comes out when your eating, to tell momma EXACTLY what you want, or don't want to eat or what you want, or don't want to do. :)


You are kind of weirdly strong for your size. I once witnessed you move the jumparoo by yourself when you were in a sitting position on the floor. Should we call Guinness World Records? You also make the funniest facial expressions. You scrunch up your face and blow really quickly through your nose like a bull! At first we thought this meant you were not happy with something, but turns out you just like to do it randomly! Another favorite is shaking your head. You love for us to mimic this back to you too. And boy do you love for us to try to scare you. You crack up every time. You also love to spend time "wallowin'" on the bed or couch. I'm sure it's because we have hardwood floors and you enjoy something you can just dive your head into without it hurting. 

You have such a sweet personality. You light up when you see or meet a new baby... it's like, in your mind, you are instant friends. :) You are also super chill. You love to sit back and relax in my or daddy's lap, or just sit and look at books. In fact, I think the later is your favorite activity.


Of course, you have your weak moments too. :) 


You get very upset if you don't get your way or your tired. In this particular case... you were tired and completely over your cake smash outfit... and did I mention getting sick??? Yeah, we've had a rough start to 2013 in that department, but you keep bouncing back like a champ.
Yes, you have changed a lot from this tiny baby in the picture...


in fact you have almost quadrupled your birth weight! You now weigh ____ lbs and are ___ in. long. A lot of people say that you look so different from your early infant hood, and at first I agreed... but when I look back at the biz-zillion  pictures we have taken of you, I see so much of the same little features and personality that we now lay our eyes on today,




your birthday!


I hope you enjoy your day as much as I will. :) For I realize that all the festivities that will happen today you will not remember. What I hope you take away from this post, and all the party pictures that will be taken, is how much you are loved! Happy first year of life baby boy!


May the Lord bless and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Numbers 6: 24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment