Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Good food and an even better read

When you feel like you can't cook .... crockpot.

When you feel like you don't want to cook for the next three days (#leftoversanyone?)... crockpot.

When you like walking into the house and smelling something delightful (that you put little to no effort into)... crockpot.

You get the point.

What momma now-a-days doesn't long for a go to crockpot recipe??? I know I LOVE when I come across one that doesn't always taste ... crockpotesque. (You know... when meals made in the crockpot all start tasting the same.) 
I don't exactly remember where I got the recipe, but I have adapted it to my liking... and we all love it around here. (I may love it more than others because I don't have to cook the next day.)

Change up the veggies to your liking!


2 lbs chicken breast (chopped into cubes)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I use the kind in the jar)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (I leave these out when cooking for the kids... and don't really miss the heat anyway!)
Water chestnuts (1 can, chopped)
Broccoli (I use about 1.5 cup chopped)

-Chop chicken into small cubes.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except water chestnuts and broccoli.
-Pour over chicken.
-Cook on low about 3 hours.
-Throw in veggies, stir and continue to cook for 3 more hours.

Serve with rice.

And while you're prepping your grocery list, or adding to your Amazon pantry shipment (what do they not do?!) throw this book in your cart.


It speaks so true to my heart and personality!
I am embarrassed at how long I've been reading it, but I like to go read the scriptures the author reflects on throughout the book... (so I like to think that's what is taking me so long to get through it. lol) 



Seriously though... I remember finding Luke 10:42 sometime during my early college years. It's funny... this verse never stuck with me before then. (But I guess being in high school or a freshman in college, it never crossed my mind that little things like "dinner preparations" or anything really... that you put infront of God, was blinding me from experiencing God's true grace.) I suppose those early college years were the beginnings of molding myself into the person, wife, and mother that I wanted to become one day, and I admit- being a Martha is where my mind wanted (and still often wants) to take me. However, I'm figuring out being "Martha" is not bad, per say ... (I mean... who wouldn't want to prepare the VERY BEST for Jesus?!) but knowing when to sit at His feet... vs. wash the dishes... there is where I struggle. Anyway... this book is heaven sent, and I highly recommend the read if you're in the market for one!






No comments:

Post a Comment