Monday, August 25, 2014

So we had an estate sale...

I had been looking forward to this past weekend for a while now.  We were going to have a two day estate sale. I grew up in a family that had yard sales almost every summer. And while I have memories of selling lemonade and mom letting us make some money from "our toys," I never had to do the actual work that goes into it. In other words... if I see another round orange pricing sticker I may scream.

Ree and PaPa were going to join in on the fun too. They are in the process of moving and cleaning out multiple houses, so it just seemed like a win win for everybody. It meant getting rid of things we didn't need, which in turn would make our basement walkable, all while earning a bit of $$. It all sounded great to me!

Realizing how much stuff we actually had to set up and put out, we decided to set up Thursday (sale was Friday and Saturday... or was supposed to be.) As soon as we started putting out our goods people started stopping and shopping! We almost made half our profit that day! It was a great thing that we were selling stuff so quickly, however it was quite frustrating to try to set up while doing so. Considering the sale wasn't even supposed to start till 8 each day (people showed up at 6!). Thank goodness that Ree and PaPa were there to do most all of the work because Burke hadn't even eaten breakfast before we made our first sale.


Then the most terrifying moment of my life happened. I really don't care to relive it by writing it out, but it involved my precious two year old driving a golf cart (not on purpose, I assure you). Talk about scary. It could have been much MUCH worse. I am so thankful this is all we have to show for the accident.

These were some of our wounds two days after ...

We thought B broke his nose. Thankfully, it's just severe bruising.

I thought I broke my left foot. Couldn't put weight on it the day of (I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm carrying around 236,388 extra lbs).... but after x-rays it turned out to be just a really bad sprain (that I'm still gimpy with :/). That, minus the flesh missing from my foot and right heal, it's just some bumps and bruises in other spots. 

And baby girl was doing just fine. They checked her heart beat, but I had felt her moving before we even got to the emergency room... which was much a relief.

And PaPa, who was basically ran over by the golf cart, didn't go to the emergency room... he stayed back to tend to the sale. Yes, people kept coming!

Needless to say, none of us could sleep that night for reliving the whole thing over in our minds. I am so so so thankful no one was seriously hurt! We have some super guardian angels watching over us for sure. 

The next two days (that were the actual sale) were a blur. I had the stuff to make Burke a cute lemonade stand... that didn't happen. Thank the Lord for the help of Ree and PaPa and NaNa and Pap Pap. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have let people come up in the yard and pay based on the honestly policy and take what wasn't priced... because all I really wanted to do was snuggle up on the couch with B (with my foot propped up of course.)

We made a lot of money this weekend, but it was overshadowed by what went down. I think it will be a long time before I'm ready for another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment